Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Honoring Richard C. Seavey

I drank a shit-ton of bourbon last night. Enough to float a battleship.

My head hurts. But not as much as my heart.

We lost another lawyer over the weekend. Not someone who will receive facebook accolades and other public claims of friendship and statements that he shaped and changed lives and careers. Just a guy who did the best he could with what he had. Every day. And he did very, very well to be the best person he could be. 
 

Richard Seavey was a profoundly private person. In his 49 years, he walked through more than his share of trials and tribulations, mostly asking for no help, leaning on no one. 

Richard was a fantastic lawyer. He could try a case. He could "litigate" a case. He could mediate and settle a case. He was nuanced. He bent but never broke. The blustery Miami lawyer never scared him. To the contrary, he found humor in it, studying it like a science project. Richard never got too high or too low. He was good at lawyering, but you got the feeling with him, lawyering was a means to an end.

For Richard, the end was being the best Father he could be.

For the better part of 14 years, Richard would leave Miami every other weekend, and then some, to travel to Virginia to spend 3 days with his daughter. Nothing stopped him. Ever.    

When she was younger and would visit him in Miami, Richard and his daughter would come to the house because we had a child the same age. He was himself, when he was with her. She was everything to him.  When he was in her orbit, you looked at him and saw someone who was in the world but not of it.

The news of his death indicated that Richard drowned in Virginia, I assume spending time with and swimming with his daughter because he had no other reason to be there, no other family there.  I can't get my head around it. 

Richard introduced me to bourbon. He is humble, so Knob Creek and Maker's Mark. On occasion he talked to me about Pappy's, to educate me, and to this day I've never had Pappy's.  I think I won't.

I love you, Richard. You did really, really well. You remain an example to many, although you don't know it.

She will shine brightly. I will help watch out for her, in whatever way I can.



The clock is ticking.

Make it count.

7 comments:

  1. Moving post. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica Rizo PerezJune 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM

    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful tribute..He will be so missed by our office and seeing him everyday. Rest in peace Richard .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone here in the Gasburg, Virginia lake community is so sorry for your loss. The police search boats were launched from our family's boat launch and dock which was across from where he was found. We are all still in shock as we watched the heartbreaking scene unfold. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful post about my brother. I want you to rest assured he was with family at our lake house when this happened. He loved it there. He had paddled under the nearly full moon the night before and called it "magical." He had gone for a swim to the bridge Sunday afternoon. He was such a strong swimmer, so we think he had some type of cardiac event but only time will tell us.
    This post gives us such an eloquent glimpse into his professional life of which we knew so little, so thank you.
    To the Anonymous poster above. Thank you for the use of your family's property and for your kind words. That was me you saw out there in the water searching for him until help arrived and I appreciate the concern you were sending my way. Please drop a note on our doorstep sometime. I am profoundly grateful to you and our community in Gasburg and I would like to properly thank you.
    With deep humility and gratitude to all,
    Terri Seavey Brinton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both for this, it is genuinely moving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish to offer my deepest sympathies to Richard's family, his friends, and colleagues. I was lucky enough to work with Richard and blessed to have him as a friend. Richard was a talented lawyer and a wonderful mentor who took the time to share his talents. He was kind and witty. He brought a sense of humor and a calm to the practice of law and to life that made him such a special person. I never met his daughter but if you knew Richard, you knew how much he loved her.
    Richard, you were a gentleman and gentle soul. May God have you in his loving arms.

    ReplyDelete